Say was elected President of the National Speaker’s Conference by his House (Assembly) Speaker colleagues across the nation in 1999.
First elected to the Hawaii House in 1976 from the Kaimuki/Palolo area, Speaker Emeritus Say was one of the youngest individuals to become a House member. Currently he is one of the most senior legislators in the Hawaii State Legislature.
Born on February 1, 1952 to parents Hugh and Clara Say, Speaker Emeritus Say graduated from St. Louis High School and the University of Hawaii at Manoa with a Bachelor’s degree in education. He is President of Kotake Shokai, Ltd., a family owned small business. He is married to Cora Say, a public school teacher, and they have two adult sons, Geoffrey and Jared.
- Speaker of the House of Representatives (1999-2013)
- Chair, House Finance Committee & Vice-Chair, Legislative Management Committee (1993-1998)
- Vice-Chair, House Finance Committee & Vice-Chair, Legislative Management Committee (1991-1992)
- Vice-Chair, House Agriculture Committee & Member, Finance Committee (1989-1990)
- Vice-Chair, House Higher Education Committee & Vice-Chair, Agriculture Committee (1987-1988)
- Chair, House Water, Land Use, Development & Hawaiian Affairs Committee; & Vice-Chair, Education Committee (1983-1986)
- Chair, House Tourism Committee (1981-1982)
- Chair, House Culture & Arts Committee (1977-1980)
- Elected to State House of Representatives, (1976)
- City Bank Board of Directors
- Governor’s Committee Commemorating the Chinese Bicentennial
- Hong Kong Business Association
- Kaimuki Professional & Business Association
- Pacific Rim Foundation, Board of Directors
- Palolo Community Council
- Palolo Lions Club
- Saint Louis Heights Community Association
- United Chinese Society of Hawaii, Past President (2015)
- Kaimuki Neighborhood Board No. 4
- Diamond Head/Kapahulu/Saint Louis Heights Neighborhood Board No. 5
- Palolo Neighborhood Board No. 6
Honolulu City Council District V
For the 2020 election, Speaker Emeritus Say is running for Honolulu City Council District 5, which includes Kaimuki, Kapahulu, Palolo Valley, St. Louis Heights, Manoa, Moili’ili, McCully, and portions of Ala Moana, Kaka’ako, and Makiki.
You can donate to Speaker Emeritus Calvin K.Y. Say’s campaign by writing a check to “Friends for Say”, and mail it to 1822 10th Avenue, Honolulu, Hawaii 96816.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to help Speaker Emeritus Calvin K.Y. Say’s campaign in any way.
Friends for Say
1822 10th Avenue, Honolulu, Hawaii 96816.